Attendance Secretaries: Kerri Brisendine and Constance Eddy
Attendance Hotline: 913-993-0412
Student Absence Guidelines and Procedures:
SMSD attendance guidelines state that after a student misses 10 days of school no matter if the absences are excused or unexcused. (defined as missing 50% or more class periods), documentation is required in order to excuse an absence. School activities are not included in the accumulated absences.
The Shawnee Mission School Board has approved six (6) reasons to be excused from school. The reasons are as follows:
Personal illness (Doctor, Dental, Medical appointments)- Appointment verification/note from the physician is provided to the school.
Serious illness or death of a member of the family.
Obligatory religious observances of the student’s own faith.
Emergency situation requiring immediate action.
Participation in a Kansas State High School Activities Association activity, a district-approved function, or a school-sponsored activity.
An absence that has been requested in writing and approved in advance by the building administrator.
Reporting Your Child's Absence:
When your student is absent the parent/guardian will report the absence to the IHMS attendance hotline and leave a message which includes student's first and last name and reason for absence.
If you forget to call your students absence in for the day, you have 48 hours to report the absence, otherwise the absence will remain unexcused.
Student Dismissal During the School Day:
In order for your student to receive a dismissal pass to leave during the school day, one of the following options must be provided by parent/guardian:
- Call the attendance hotline to report that your student will be checked out early. Please provide first and last name, reason for dismissal, and time your student needs to be dismissed. Please call at least one hour before checkout time to allow time to process the pass.
- Provide a note for your student to turn in to the front office at the beginning of the day. Please provide student's first and last name, reason for dismissal, and time your student needs to be dismissed.
Kansas statutes state that a student is truant if they are absent without excuse for a significant portion of the school day for three consecutive days, five days in a semester, or seven days in a school year. When that occurs, the school is to provide notice to the student's parent or guardian. Once notice is received, any further unexcused absences trigger a report to the District Attorney's Office.
Cumulative Absence Communication:
- Seven-Day Communication Letter: When a student reaches seven cumulative absences, parent/guardian will receive an attendance letter outlining information for board approved absences, needed documentation for absences, and number of accumulated absences.
- Ten-Day Warning Letter: When a student reaches ten cumulative absences, parent/guardian will receive an attendance warning letter outlining information for board approved absences, needed documentation for absences, and number of accumulated absences. Communication between school and family is needed in order to work together to provide family/student support that will increase attendance.
- Pre-Truancy Letter: After a student's 10th cumulative absence, parent/guardian will receive an attendance warning letter outlining steps that need to be taken by the family to avoid a truancy referral to the Johnson County District Attorney's office.
Skyward Attendance Record:
Tardies to school, tardies to class, full school day absences, and hourly absences are recorded in your student's Skyward profile. Parents can view their student's attendance information via the Skyward Parent Portal and also receive text and/or email alerts for your student's tardies and absences. For more information about utilizing Skyward, see the "Skyward Resource" tab located in the "Families" portion of our IHMS website.